Monday 2 September 2019

The weather breaks, and so does the shower pump


Wednesday 28th August; Banbury and High Wycombe
After last night’s rain – there was more during the evening – it was a cool start as I walked along the canal towards the station, for a bit of quality Grandma time with my new little grandson.  Yesterday we saw the empty space where nb Hardy is normally moored, and wondered if it was in the dry dock – yes it was.


My train was the fast one to London, and it was standing room only from Banbury, with the last of the day trips for the kiddies going back to school next week.  I sat on the floor and read yesterday’s paper.  None of the much younger passengers offered this crumbly a seat! 

Anyway, I had a lovely few hours with my daughter and new baby before getting the train back - the stopping train this time.  I could have waited for the fast train, but the hard metal station benches were uncomfortable, and anyway the stopping train, as well as being more comfortable, came back via King’s Sutton.  The station itself is unremarkable - the interesting bits are down at the lock -  but I knew I'd get some fleeting views of the canal near Aynho.



The second picture is taken, I think, from the viaduct across the field where we often see green woodpeckers and bunnies.

When I got back, I found Dave mopping out.  After walking Meg he’d had a shower and planned to have a mooch round town.  However, he didn’t hear the shower pump, although the water was draining …. He found the shower pump container (it’s the accumulator type) full of water, but the rest of it had found its way through a little hole in the top of the container into the bilges.  Hence the mopping out.  Poor Dave, and he’d had showery weather too while I’d had bright sunshine.

We felt he deserved a meal out, so went to the Reine Deer, where we’ve not been before.  The food was fine, but they had run out of mustard for my sausages.  I said I was happy with ketchup, but the lovely guy leapt into his car and drove to Tesco to get some.  Now that’s what I call service!

It was lucky we had taken waterproofs, as it was raining when we came out, and it got much heavier as the evening wore on.  Following the example of the boat in front, we put the flat pram cover over the stern to keep the rain out of the bilges – we could still crawl out of the back if there was an emergency.

No comments:

Post a Comment